Monday, January 21, 2008

Q: Why are doctors' clients called "patients"?

A: Because that's what we all have to be in order to endure the looooong wait outside their clinics!

Grrr...

I have been to three doctors' clinics at least seven times in the last four weeks. Four times to Patty's OB-GYN in Medical City. A couple of appointments with Gabi's pedia and opthalmologist in St. Lukes. And today to my cardiologist/ endocrinologist/ business partner and friend in Cardinal Santos.

And without exception, I've had to endure waits of no less than 45 minutes at a time. Sometimes even longer.

And it is not a pleasant experience.

I've long learned to block off the entire morning or the entire afternoon when I have a doctor's appointment. Patty taught me how to manage the long wait. She goes to the clinic early, signing up even before the doctor shows up, leaves her number and then heads to the nearest food stall to grab a bite and wait for the clinic secretary's text summons.

We get our sms notification when there are just two patients ahead of us. Enough time to negotiate the long queues to the elevator and get back to the clinic. But then we still have to wait.

The challenge now is how to fight off boredom. And irritation. And try as much as possible to remain productive. Or at least preserve sanity.

I've tried bringing a book or two. It didn't work. Reading is supposed to be relaxing, a luxury one looks forward to. Being in the company of other impatient patients is definitely not conducive to relaxing.

Once in a while, I find myself just just observing the faces of the waiting crowd. I particularly like observing the hordes of med reps who wait in doctors' clinics the whole day. Every day! Imagine that: waiting is their profession!

Today I am trying something new. Now I write this blog as I continue to wait. Writing on my notebook with my pen.

I'll bring my laptop and weRoam card next time. So I can post on the fly.

Wow, I don't believe it. I am actually looking forward to the next doctor's appointment.

Now it is I who can't wait.

No comments: