Monday, January 14, 2008

And I thought I had it maid. :(

I have a bad temper.

It runs in the genes. Literally. We Mercados, or at least most of us, are known to over blow our tops once in a while. Friends and in-laws label it as the "Mercado Temper." And I doubt if it's meant to be a compliment.

In my case, it also runs in the blood. Literally. Because I am diabetic and take insulin and oral medications everyday, I am prone to wildly fluctuating blood glucose levels. Particularly hypo glycemia or low blood sugar levels. And it is when these levels are too low that I become more prone to tantrums at the slightest provocation.

I admit that my temper explosions at times can cause tsunami-like destruction.

Yesterday morning, our cook packed her bags and left after I berated her for not following my rather simple breakfast request.

Berated does not accurately describe my tirade. I cringe in front of my computer right now when I recall the little drama of yesterday morn.

I simply lost it. As Patty quietly told me a good 6 hours after the incident, it was as if I was possessed. Straight from the movies. And although I for once had the starring role, it was a performance I totally regret.

And just when I thought I had my blood sugar level under control. Just when I thought I had already achieved a balance. Just when I thought I could deal with the all too present incompetencies of household staff.

I am now contrite. Guilt pervades. I wish I could take it back.

A little too late of course.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have diabetes myself and anxiety disorder. The combination becomes lethal when my blood sugar is low and my anxiety is in overdrive. It may sound trite, but try to literally walk away from the situation, if you can, take a diabetes glucose pill, and come back after 5 minutes. You may still reprimand your maid, but it's better than 'berating' her.

RAM said...

Thank you very much, someone I know. You're right, at the end of the day, no matter what pre-existing condition(s) we may have, there really is no excuse to "berating" a fellow human being. My action was uncalled for. Period.

What is this "glucose pill" that you mention? I'm not familiar with it and would really like more info.

Anonymous said...

RAM, glucose pills are simply sugar tablets you can take when you experience hypoglycemia. Anxiety can be a side effect of low blood sugar and I believe this triggers your mood swings.

Here's a link to glucose tablets: http://www.drugstore.com/qxp37590_333181_sespider/dex_4/glucose_tablets_grape.htm

I am not sure if it is available in the Philippines but you can try specialty stores. Who knows maybe Mercury Drug even has it. As you can imagine, there are various brands available.

One last thing, and forgive me if I sound like a walking advertisement for fighting diabetes, subscribe to the e-newsletter of of http://www.dlife.com/. Not only do they offer updated information but also provide you with recipes that help with your meals.

So good luck and hang in there!!! I'm sure you'll conquer your moods.