Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Beware! Insensitive Zoo Keepers Can Bite!

My friend Michelle sent me this forwarded e-mail this afternoon.

I was in shock. On the same day when the accident happened, I was also there in Arc of Avilon. With Gabi and ALL his Mercado cousins!

We didn't witness the incident. But we were there. And it could have happened to any of us.

We were there on a whim. Miguel had a few hours to kill before flying back to KL with his kids, Luis and Rocio. Paolo had left for Paris earlier that morning but Dana and their two boys, Gio and Pepi, decided to stay a little longer to avoid the bitter winter in Europe.

So to AOA we all went. Wawel and Therese, Samantha and Diego, Miguel, Luis and Rocio, Dana, Gio and Pepi, Beeto, Gabi and myself.

Thankfully no one wanted to pet the snakes. The kids did pose with the birds and the miniature horse and fed the rabbits and giant turtles. But not the reptiles.

I don't know what I would have done if the same thing happened to Gabi or any of my nephews and nieces.

I'd probably bite the snake back! And the handler too! And after reading this forwarded e-mail, I'd probably sink my teeth on the zoo owners as well.

Wow! Can you imagine that? They blamed the victim for "not properly handling" the snake!

THEY should be the ones kept in cages! I'd certainly pay good money to visit a zoo where insensitive merchants are put on display behind bars as a warning to would be consumer victims!

Grrr... Never again.



Date: January 8, 2008 4:30:03 PM GMT+08:00
Subject: Snake Bite Story at the Arc of Avilon in Tiendesitas - FYI

PASS THIS STORY TO YOUR FRIENDS...

My Family and I visited the new Arc of Avilon (AoA) Zoo located at Frontera
Verde near Tiendesitas in Pasig last January 5, 2008. The highlight of the
said zoo is they allow people especially kids to touch their animals like
orangutan, parrots, eagles, rabbits, tortoise and snakes.

And when you allow your kids to touch these animals, you trust that the
animals are harmless and are trained not to hurt its visitors.

Unfortunately, my 2nd daughter was bitten by an Albino King Snake. Her
finger was bloodied so I quickly ask where the clinic was located. I saw a
sign that read Hospital/Quarantine, I quicky open the door but found
nothing inside but some cages and two people talking. I ask if there's a
doctor there and they said none. Then the king snake handler came over and
directed us to follow him. I thought we would be brought to a clinic. To my
dismay, we were brought to a dirty pantry full of flies. And the handler
administered Betadine to my daughter's finger, which was stored in a soy
sauce gallon container. A park with no clinic, no doctor and no medicine.

I took my daughter to the hospital, and upon reaching the hospital the
first question was what kind of snake bit my daughter. I told them its an
Albino King Snake. They were not sure whether the king snake is a venomous
or a non-venomous snake. They said they had to consult an expert about
this. After awhile, Thank God that the king snake was a non-venomous one.
But the doctors wanted to be sure so they gave my daughter an anti-tetanus
drug and ask her to take anti-biotics for seven days.

After reaching home, I texted both Jake and Tina Gaw (owners of AoA) that
the doctor asked us to observe my daughters condition. I also told them
that I am going to write about this horrible experience. Tina texted back
and said: "Jerry, if thats how bad you felt, I respect your personal
feelings concerning the incident. I wish she (my daughter) could have been
more careful in handling the snake or other pets as well especially this
one is exotic. Even tame ones, rabbit, tortoise, mouse, pig bite when they
felt hurt or frighten when not properly handled. And its really sad when
you felt it became a horrible issue."

Now it's my daughter's fault to be bitten by the snake? AoA never bothered
to offer their help and now they blame my daughter for the incident. That
was a very insensitive remark by Tina. I don't think the snake was hurt or
frighten, they were tired and irritated because they were being used to
entertain people.

Exotic you say? Why allow them to be touched by people? Yes, I agree that
animals bite when they felt hurt or frighten, but let me remind the
management of AoA that most of your audience are children, I even saw some
as young as two years old. They will just touch and play with the animals
without knowing whether they're hurting them or not. It is AoA's
responsibility to make sure that none of their animals be hurt or frigthen
so that biting won't happen.

And since accidents happen, how come Arc of Avilon don't even have a clinic
to at least administer some first-aid soluton. What if the eagles decided
to peck the visitors, or use their big claws to attack the visitors. Donkey
or horse suddenly kicking. And snakes biting. There shoud be a doctor, a
clinic and first-aid kit to address this kind of unfortunate incidents.

Arc of Avilon should not allow people to touch a snake that bites plus they
should have expert handlers to assist its visitors. All the Arc of Avilon
management can say is that the snake is a non-venomous one. No other help
was offered, and then they will blame the visitors for mishandling the
animals.

Am I overacting? I don't think so. What are the chances that you will get
bitten by a snake in the metropolis? Worst in a theme park like Arc of
Avilon. As a parent, will you take it sitting down? Will you just take
their word for it that it's non-venomous? Remember, its a snake-bite. Let
this be a warning to all my readers who are planning to visit Arc of Avilon
at Tiendesitas or any other zoo for that matter.

Let my story be a lesson to all. You can ask your kids to look but as much
as possible DO NOT TOUCH. Better yet, DO NOT VISIT the Arc of Avilon
totally, until they improve their facilities. Never again will we go to the
Arc of Avilon.

Thank you and more power. God Bless us all!

Jerry Liao

No comments: