Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Jose Luis V. Tantoco (29 August 1968 - 8 January 2007)


The last time I talked to Joel was late July 2000, outside Lola Charing's house on Pili. It must have been 2 in the morning.

Lola Pacit jut died that morning and it was the last night of my father's wake in San Antonio.


We were outside by the cars while the Soriano women were finalizing plans for Lola Pacit's wake and funeral.

Despite the obviously somber and even depressing circumstances, Joel was his usual calm and comforting self. We chatted for a while. It was not small talk. Light but not frivolous banter.

He did most of the talking. And he didn't speak of death. He spoke of life! Of what he wanted to do, of what he wanted to achieve. And he quickly got excited, becoming animated about his dreams. We ended up smiling. And laughing. An unspoken commitment to go on enjoying life despite the difficulties, despite even the possibility of an early death.

We parted ways an hour later. And I never saw him again.

Thank you, Joel, for that short talk we had. Thank you for being with me during a difficult phase in my life. And thank you for rekindling that love of life that I thought I'd never experience again.

Thank you, my friend. I will always remember you with fondness in my thoughts and prayers.

P.S. Thank you, Rica, for reminding all of us about Joel. (And thank you for the picture, which I grabbed from your site)

No comments: