Monday, April 7, 2008

Volks Populi

Gabi and I chanced upon a swarm of Beetles along the Quezon Memorial Circle last Sunday morning. We had just come from the Ateneo Football School and were headed towards Trinoma to buy Gabi's soccer gear.

Turned out that we were accidental witnesses to the Volkswagen Club of the Philippines' new attempt at a Guinness World Record for the largest parade of Volkswagen vehicles.

There were Volkswagens of all kinds. Not just Beetles but also Kombis, Karmann Ghias and Jettas.
VWs have been a part of my childhood. We had a Kombi when we were in grade school and it was our school bus to and from Maria Montessori Cooperative School. My Dad also had a Beetle and I remember that An, Wawel and I used to ride in the small "third row" package compartment.

Wawel is still enamored with VWs. He has a late 60's Beetle, a red Jetta and a Caravel van.

I am not sure if the attempt was successful. Newspaper reports say that about 800 cars participated! Visit the club's site vwcp.org in the next few days for updates.

No comments: