Friday, April 25, 2008

The More, The Merrier!

I've always wanted to have a big family. By big I mean four kids at the very least!

I have six other siblings. And if not for two unfortunate miscarriages, we would have been nine kids! And I'm sure my brothers and sisters would agree that our childhood was a lot of fun.

Sure, I had a late start. Gabi was born when I was already 40. My wife Patty is now six months on the way with our second child. Good thing Patty is much younger than me. Gives us a chance to have more kids. God willing, of course.

This summer we've been spending a lot of time with Gabi's Mercado cousins. Gabi is the youngest among eight cousins. And except for Paris-based Gio and Pepi, the cousins are constantly together now. Beach trips, birthday parties, baking sessions, swimming dates.

And they are constantly in each others' nerves. Which is really part of the fun! Teaches them among other things, what it means to share. And how to be patient. And how to survive!

No matter what population control advocates say, I firmly believe that having many kids is NOT counter productive, does NOT cause more poverty and hardship, and is NOT a manifestation of irresponsible parenthood.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go forth and multiply indeed. But that's easier said than done - especially when there is no food to put on the table. It may NOT be counter productive and may NOT cause more poverty and hardship to those who have the resources to have as many children as they want. But to those who may want more children but do not have the resources, what say you?

RAM said...

Yes, you are right. It is easier said than done. To want more children is not a wanton wish but a commitment. A conscious and well thought decision to work hard towards providing one's growing family with the right resources.And it also gives one motivation and reason to strive harder at work.