Saturday, December 29, 2007

Tengco ... Tengco ... Ang Babait Ninyo. Tengco!


Writing as Gabi (gabimercado.multiply.com)

We had Christmas day lunch in Lolo Pete and Maman Zeny's house in New Manila.

For the first time in two years, everyone was present!

Wowa Corina, Mommy Patty, Nanang Paola, Tito Anton and Tito Miguel and Papa were present.

Wowa is the Ate of the family and Lolo Pete's trusted lieutenant. She takes care of everything! From Max's to Legacy to Villa Desta and more. Even to maintaining the houses in New Manila, Tagaytay, Rada and Malolos.

Wowa and Papa have similar jobs. Both are COOs of their respective families. COOs? Not Chief Operating Officer … Child of Owner!

Both are prone to stress. Both worry themselves silly. Both pressure themselves needlessly.

And like I always tell my Papa when he comes home ranting to Mommy about work-related problems ... "Relax, Wowa. Relax!"

Wowa's siblings and their families were present too.

Tita Mia was present!

My Tita Mia is cool. My Mommy says that she is a celebrity, lead singer of hit band Wake Up Your Seatmate. And she's a friend of my Tito Baba Gabe. So I guess she's famous too.

But to me, she'll always be Cuddles' Mommy.

I never got to meet Tita Mia's dad, Lolo Monching, the Kuya of the family. But from all the stories I hear, surely he must have been just as smart and just as cool as Tita Mia.

Lolo Tony, Diko to his siblings, was present too!

Lolo Tony is a health buff. He is always on the thread mill. He is always on a diet and he always tries out the latest weight loss fad. He even convinced Wowa and Mommy to try Xenical! You should try Lolo Tony's regimen, Papa! Might do you good.

Tito Jay, Tita Joanne and Cousin Dani were present too!

Cousin Dani and I are the only two great grandchildren of Lolo and Maman. We are the favorites! That's why we get to sit in front and on their laps too for the traditional picture taking.

Beat that, sipsip Papa!

Lolo Al was present too!

Lolo Al has always been Santa Claus to me. All year round! And to the whole family as well. He is very generous not only with his gifts (which I always look forward to!) but more so with his time and advice, especially to the many who continue to seek his help.

Lola Carla, Tita Amanda, Tito Sandro and my favorite Tito Xabi were present too!

Tito Xabi is my favorite Tito. It certainly helps that he's only a few years older than me. No generation gap between uncle and nephew here. Just as there is no generation gap between Lolo Al and my Papa. My Papa already knew of Lolo Al’s reputation as a funny man in college, as one half of the “Al and Ernest” tandem.

Papa thinks he’s as funny as Lolo Al. Now that’s funny, Papa!


Lolo Louie was present too!

“Louie” and “Lolo” don’t seem to fit. That’s because Lolo Louie is fun! He is the biggest kid I know and I like playing with him. But not with toy guns please! Or at least not when Papa's around. He doesn't want me playing with guns. “Only water guns,” he says... Papa's weird!

Lola Maite, Tita Cara and Tita "Nees-Nees" were present too!

Tita “Nees-Nees” I like. She’s my favorite Tita. Both Papa and I like making her inis. Miss Photogenic, she surely is!

Lola Rosanna was present too!

Lola Rosanna I only get to see once every blue moon. That’s because she and her family live in London. I must admit I did not recognize her when she first arrived a few weeks ago. It was Roger’s and Hammerstein’s “getting to know you” all over again!

But it was certainly worth all the effort. Now I know both sides of Lola Rosanna’s coin: as the soft-spoken pastor's wife and as the Papa-nominated fiercest Tengco woman shopping warrior.

Lola Rene, Tita Hannah, Tita Sarah and Tito David were present too!

Tito David I do remember! He who played football with Papa in the beach. He can probably run rings around Papa now that he’s all grown up.

Just stick to Wii, Papa. Pick your battles. Discretion is the better part of valor. You stand a better chance of beating Tito David in a video tennis court than in a real soccer pitch.

Christmas day lunch was so much fun! Not only because everyone was present but more so because I got plenty, plenty presents!

Thank you, Lolo Pete! Thank you, Maman Zeny! Thank you for the everlasting present of such a wonderful family.

Papa, Mommy and I will always treasure your God-inspired presence.

No comments: