Monday, December 24, 2007

Champion Shoppers, Women All!















Writing as Gabi (gabimercado.multiply.com)

Ever since the doctor asked --- nay, ordered! --- my Mommy to stay home in bed until after the holidays, Papa has had to take over a task that he had always delegated to Mommy: Christmas shopping!

Papa faced the challenge straight on, mustering courage from unknown forces. "To Trinoma and beyond!" was his not too convincing mantra.

He brought me to Trinoma where he left me in my favorite Gymboree while he sailed off, braved the crowds and bought a number of gifts still on Mommy's unfinished Christmas list. You should have seen Papa go, Mommy! The same Papa who hates malls, the same Papa who usually brings a book to a nearby Starbucks where he waits until Mommy has satisfied her shopping itch.

Which mind you, can sometimes take two hours at least. I should know. I usually have two play time sessions in Gymboree or in nearby Kevin's before Mommy comes back to get me.

After an hour and a half, and with still two unbought items on Mommy's list, Papa stumbled back into Gymboree, ready to call it a day. But alas, I wouldn't let him off that easily. I wanted to join the art class and that meant Papa had thirty more precious minutes to spend in the mall!

Being the wise man that he is, Papa ended up in Bubba Gump. Reading a new book he had just purchased, sipping coffee and even trying the cafe's famous Mud Pie! Much to the dismay of course, of his already battered, diabetes-inflicted pancreas.

But to be fair to Mommy, she's the tamest among the Tengco shopping women!

Maman, all 79 years old, can still out pace many a novice shopper, even those a third of her age! My Nanang Paula is another certified long distance shopper. Wowa Corina always says she's not like "that" but still manages to "accompany" her mother, sister or daughters into the madding crowd.

And then there is my Lola Rosanna, who's back home from London on a short vacation. My oh so lovely, meek and mild, Lola Rosanna.

If there's an Iron Man competition for shopping longevity, I will put all my hard-earned piggy bank money on my dear Lola Rosanna. Blimey, she'd scare the socks of all comers before she's done strolling down the line of shops!

Be it in Shenzen, China, Mongkok's night market, 168 in Divisoria, the tiangges of Greenhills, the Ayala malls in Makati or the ubiquitous SM enclaves all over the metro, trust the Tengco women to be at the forefront of all shopping queues.

If only I could fill up a hundred more piggy banks I would put up a Starbucks-like cafe where all temporarily abandoned husbands and boyfriends like Lolo Pete, Wowo, Lolo Rene, Tito Raymond and Papa can just while the time, with good coffee and pleasant company, oblivious to the whereabouts of their warrior partners, unmindful of the time that quickly yet peacefully passes.

Me? I don't mind their shopping. After all, they always get something nice for me! :)

P.S. The picture was taken in Hongkong in December 2005. Notice that all the men are still smiling for the camera. Little did they know that soon after, the warrior women would troop to nearby Mongkok to invade the night market! With their unsuspecting male folk in tow to serve as carriers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I salute your patience in shopping Robs! Bow!