Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Best in Costume


"So which costume did you like best?" I asked my six year old son when he got home from school.

To commemorate the 150th birthday of our national hero, Jose Rizal, Gabi and the entire elementary school were asked to come dressed in clothes typical of late 19th century Philippine society.

Gabi came in a white camisa, khaki pants and slippers: our take of the clothing common folk wore at that time.

Others came in plain white shirts with red bandanas round their necks and straw hats on their heads: the gear of the revolutionary Katipuneros.

Some even came in barong tagalogs and Maria Clara gowns, traditional formal attires.

"My favorite was the boy who wore black pants, jacket, hat and shoes and white shirt and socks." Gabi answered. "He looked so cool!"

"And who was that boy supposed to be dressed like?" I asked, trying to test my son's knowledge of Jose Rizal.

"Duh, Papa!" Gabi stared at his seemingly clueless father. "Michael Jackson, of course!"

Wrong hero, my son.







No comments: