Sunday, March 16, 2008

Truly Pino



Finally got the chance to visit Pino in Maginhawa Street. After months of prodding from Monica, Patty and I had dinner in the resto bar run by Martin and his friends last night.

And to think it was Patty who suggested it. Imagine that! She who's sense of culinary adventure is to put mustard on her french fries, she who swears she could have sinigang and kare kare all year round. (Must be because she's four months pregnant. Hormones make you do irrational things, or so they say.)

And so before she could have the chance to change and her mind, we dropped off Gabi in bestfriend Beeto's house and raced off to Pino. Of course, I was already thinking of a Plan B. There was always Ken Afford on Katipunan where we could run to just in case Patty chickened out. But hey, I would have my Pino meal first!

The first challenge came when we were shown the menu.

I could see the panic in Patty's face. She read and read the short menu and muttered, "I think I will have the cheese sticks."

I already knew what I wanted, the Chicken Confit that Monica always talked about. I wasn't going to budge. I wanted my leg of fowl in duck fat. And I wanted it now.



I gently explained to Patty that the Lemongrass Chicken was nothing more than Chicken Inasal, remembering that we once frequented Joel Torre's Manukan when she was pregnant with Gabi.

She agreed. Thankfully.

And except for having the rice changed to plain instead of java, she didn't ask for her meal to be modified in any other way. Usually she'd want all sauces on the side and all greens -- peas, onions, lettuce -- removed. (I too have an aversion for things green. But not in food.)

And she wasn't disappointed. And neither was I.

Great food, great presentation. One small step for me, a giant leap for Patty.

Thanks, Mons, for making us kulit.




No comments: