Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Gabi Learns to Share




We brought Gabi with us last night to help distribute the cooked food packs Patty had prepared for typhoon victims. It was a spur of the moment decision. We thought it would help make Gabi understand the gravity of the calamity. We also hoped that the experience would make him value the importance of sharing. And thus make him stop grabbing Bela's toys from her and start sharing his toys with her.

So off to Marikina we went. To the Malanday Elementary School which was now an evacuation center for more than 300 families. Last week there were more than 1,000 families there. But most of them were already sent home. Those who remained had no more houses to go home to.



Gabi patiently gave out the food packs in each of over forty classrooms in the school. And he chose to give his packs to the kids. Many his age. Many more much younger.





Gabi went about his task enthusiastically. It was obvious that he felt good about what he was doing. And that he was having fun.



After an hour and a half, after all 300 or so food packs had been given away, I pulled Gabi aside and asked: "So, Gabi, what have you learned tonight?"

"I learned that it's important to give," he started. "And that it's important to share."

"And how do you feel now?" I asked, already convinced that Patty and I made the right decision to bring him along.

"I am a little sad, Papa."

"Why, Gabi?"

"Because we didn't bring toys," he reasoned out. "Can we come back tomorrow to bring them toys? I want to share toys with them."

"Sure, Gabi," I was so proud of my four year old son. "Why don't you put together some of your old toys and we'll bring them here tomorrow."

"No, Papa! Not my toys... I want to share Bela's toys with them!"

No comments: