Monday, September 14, 2009

Sunday Mornings with Gabi

Early Sunday mornings are spent with Gabi in Starbucks. Papa with his tall cafe mocha and Gabi with his honey glazed doughnut. It's what Gabi calls a "boys only" meeting: no Mommy, no Bela, no yayas.

This weekly "chat" is something I learned from my own father. Though he was a very busy man, he made it a point to chat with each of us kids for one hour every week. And it was scheduled. And complete with an agenda, resolutions, next steps and timetables.

My chat with my four year old son is less structured. And it's a meeting that Gabi dominates. He sets the agenda. He does most of the talking. And he asks all the questions.

The conversation topics are varied. And many times profound. His queries admittedly baffle me from time to time.

"If junk food is bad for us, why do they sell it in the groceries?"


"Why are we celebrating (President) Cory's death? Is dying good?"


"So Papa, if God made everything ... who made God?"


I may not know how to answer all his questions but I always give him an answer in terms that he would understand. And when I don't know, I tell him that I will try to find out.

I love it that Gabi expresses his curiosity. And I encourage this sense of wonder in him by being there to try and answer all his questions. For just like with my own father and our weekly chats, I hope to be there in the future for Gabi to run to when the bigger questions in life arise.

For now, I'm just thankful there's Google to help me find answers to Gabi's questions!

No comments: