Monday, August 31, 2009

Modern Day Heroes



"We don't have school on Monday," Gabi reminded me while we were driving to Subic yesterday morning.

"And why is that?" I wanted to know if the teachers in school explained what National Heroes' Day was all about.

"Because it's Heroes' Day. It's the day for heroes like Cory." Gabi proudly replied.

Wow, I thought. Bringing Gabi to watch President Cory's funeral march earlier this month was well worth it after all.

"And who else are heroes?" I asked.

"Ordinary people," he said. "Like policemen and firemen. And like those who bake, those who cook. Like Mommy!"

I was impressed. I liked what Gabi was getting from school. The noble idea of turning ordinary work into something heroic was something worth learning.

"And so who is your favorite hero?" I wanted to be impressed some more.

"Mmmm," he paused in deep thought. "My favorite is Spiderman!"

No comments: