Sunday, February 3, 2008

Happy birthday, Gel!

Thanks, Michelle! Thanks for sharing your Facebook note with all of us. Galing mo. You beat all of us to the punch.

Happy birthday, Gel! Thank you for still being there, after more than two decades. Still fixing things for me, like the first time 21 years ago when you came to the rescue -- okay, okay, we kidnapped you! -- of two clueless lads named Robbi and Bert and made their car work again.

We watched you tinker with the car --- was it the Mercado avocado green wagon? --- and dirty yourself while we watched. You made it run, which was more than what we hoped for, and we left you with a hasty thank you.

Only the following day did we realize it was your birthday! Oh man, how embarrassing.

And how touching.

We used you. We abused you. On your birthday too. And nary a complaint from TA's resident fix it man. A man we all christened Gelzon McGyver. A man who started the fatigue workman look that Ria eventually got "tired" of. (Thanks, Ria. We could never muster the courage to tell Gel that rebellious green was no longer the fashion.) A man who continues to be of Good Housekeeping-grade service, not just to friends who continue to abuse him, but more so to Ria, Isabel and Miguela and the extended family he has learned to love.

Thank you, Gel, for extending McGyver's run way beyond Season 24 . Thank you for being nerdier than me. (Believe me, it's a relief to know that I am somewhat normal).

And thank you for being Gabi's nonong and Patty's friend. You're a great friend, the best anyone could ever hope for. And what I will never forget is that when I was at my lowest, you and Bert were there. Always. And forever.

Josh Groban's You Raise Me Up always reminds me of the two of you. (Okay, not when I sing it. And don't you dare try to sing it! Si Bert pa, I'm sure can do justice to the song. Pakingan na lang natin si Bert.)

Happy 41st, my friend!

And dude... sira nanaman yung Montero. Baka naman ...


No comments: